Paris Crossing High School began in 1884 when George Dodd was elected Trustee. He saw the need for a high school for children who wanted more education after common school who had to go to Lancaster or Lexington Indiana to get it. In the 1890's he started the first high School. Classes were held in a frame building called the "Barracks". It was in the center of town. School was only five or six months in length.
In 1904 when J. E. Hudson was elected township trustee, a two-room brick building was erected east of the frame one. The high school used the room on the south; the other grades used the north room of the frame building, which incidentally was also an opera house.
About 1908 when William Runyon was trustee, a second story was added.
The school became accredited in 1918 with two full time teachers.
In 1928 when Homer McGannon was trustee, another addition was made to the building - a basement with a furnace and two classrooms and an office and on the second floor an assembly hall.
High school students from Lovett Township were transferred to Paris Crossing in 1938. Marion Township students joined in 1939
It was a blow to our civic pride when in 1961 the high school had to forever close its doors. Ironically, Ralph Dodd, the great-grandson of the founder was trustee at the time. The Ordinance of 1787 provided for religion, morality, knowledge, being necessary for the welfare of mankind, schools and the means for education shall forever be encouraged.
EXCERPTS TAKEN FROM "History of Paris Crossing High School" by Ethel Deputy, Cora Dodd, Marie Bridges, Hazel Smith, Gladys Auerswald, Joy McCoy, Stanley McGannon, Fred Pond.
For other histories see Jennings County 1817-1999. Vernon: Jennings Historical Society. 1999. [For sale ►Here]Also the histories of each township provided in the North Vernon Plain Dealer and Sun, summer 2017 for the county bicentennial. [Available at the Society and the Jennings County Public Library.